Friday, April 13, 2012

A Great Program in the Great South West

Good day everyone!







So sorry once again for taking ages to compile another blog entry but life has been on warp speed lately.







Rewind two, nearly three weeks ago....







I've begun to feel as though I've been running on a tread mill. I've been in constant motion: learning, preparing, buying, program-ing, recovering, rebuying, repreparing, more programing, etc. etc. etc. but I have begun to feel a tickle in my psyche that I have been missing something. I've been in Australia for over three months but have yet to have a defining Aussie moment. Not that I have not learnt heaps about the people, the culture, the language, the details of daily life and so on but I have been missing that moment where my eyes open a bit wider I take a deep breathe and feel saturated with a "this is why I am on the other side of the world". Simply put, the entirety of my Oz experience has been confined to my small fishing town-Eildon-with its booming population of 600 full time residents (many of which I suspect to be OEG staff) and a handful of nights spent in Melbourne frantically buying gear to prepare for my next programs. I had yet to really have an experience that I couldn't get from a standard Ohio landscape (besides the kangaroos in my back yard of course).







Anyway, this was my current mental landscape going into a program located along the Great South West Walk. It was to be a bit of an unusual program in many regards. The overview was a 10 day bushwalk/canoe journey program with 10-14 year (grade) 10 girls. Rather than being the sole GL with a school staff along for the ride this program called for two GLs with only one school staff roaming between the 3 groups in the Great South West. This meant that I got to work with another OEG staff as a leader/coleader. Which is awesome because it makes everything easier. Add to this fact that I was paired with an Aussie girl named Claire, who I spent lots of my free time with and have become quite Keen on (this is punny because her last name is Keen). Furthermore, due to the lack of school staff that would be on the trip in terms of number ratios (aka the school needed another adult to supervise (sleep)) on the bus trip. This meant i got lucky enough to get shuttled into Melbourne by a chaffeur company (van not limo) and sit on the 8 hour bus ride with the kids and get paid for 2 days work (~450 bucks) to do not much. So to recap, this program was different because: I had never done a 10 day program, never done a multiday bushwalk, never done a canoe journey program, never worked with a co-leader, never worked so far away, never rode the bus with the students, and probably 3 or 4 others that I can't think of currently.







I could spend hours describing this group/week/experience but will give the brief overview instead. Of our 10 girls we had 5 (at least) that were absolute super stars and whom I wish I could have on ALL of my programs, the trek line was stunning--over 55 kilometers all told--it overlooked the very edge of Australia, which ended in 100 meter cliffs. I found this fitting. Australia seems such a strange wayward island. It makes sense it ends sheerly. At one point I looked out on seals swimming along the cliffside and within 5 minutes had a mob of kangaroos hob 20 meters ahead of our group on the trail. The girls dominated the canoe section taking half of the time Claire and I predicted to finish some of the days. Claire and I worked beautifully together. Despite being incredibly difficult and exhausting it was miraculous. So much went so well.




This is a picture of one of the sections we walked. Actually, the point on the far left is where I overlooked Australian seals swimming around and then bummed into the Roos.







I do apologize, there is so much to tell. Dozens if not a hundred little stories I could divulge on this week alone and even though I feel like I've typed for ages I know I haven't but am already being becconed to other places and people and ... everything.







I'll leave it at that and fill those interested in later.







# I forget which ways to die in OZ
The Box Jellyfish

The box jellyfish has been called "the world's most venomous creature," according to Wikipedia.

According to another source one tentacle has enough venom to kill 50 humans.

Nother more need be said I do not believe.

Box jellys live in the north though. Not lake Eildon. However, I'll give you all two guesses as fas as where I plan to live this coming winter (may-august)....


Till next time..............

No comments:

Post a Comment